Thursday, November 4, 2010

Research Topic

I chose the topic on Selective Mutism. Prior to researching about it, I had no idea what Selective Mutism was or that such a thing exisited. In fact, when I first saw the term, I had it somehow linked to 'Self-Mutilation', which is a totally different thing altogether. Researching about it has really broadened my knowledge about such disorders and got me interested in learning more.

If you don't know what Selective Mutism is (like me), it is a disorder that usually occurs during childhood. It is when the child does not speak in at least one social setting. However, the child can speak in other situations.

As I read the blog that a man wrote to pen down his journey with his son suffering from this disorder, link here, I felt very inspired by what he has done and things he has sacrified for his son.

There are also forums, like this one, that discusses ways to help those that are suffering from Selective Mutism and provide support groups that they can join online. I find such websites really helpful for those that have a friend/child that they really wish to help and do not know how to or where to start.

Generally, learning about all these has led me to thinking about how privileged we really are and that we should not take things we have for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment